Ok, so what if I told you that not all foods are created equal, and that snacking on a handful of raw nuts and eating a salad for lunch is great, but it’s not going to provide you with everything you need for optimal health and weight loss. What would you do? Well I know what I’d do. I’d supercharge my diet with some slimming superfoods.
Slimming superfoods make a great addition to any diet as they allow you to get more nutrition with eating less, and they can help you lose weight by increasing your metabolism and curbing your cravings and appetite. They also have many other amazing health benefits.
So here are my top picks to help you achieve a healthier and slimmer you in no time!
Goji berries not only assist you to lose weight quickly by increasing your metabolism and curbing your appetite, they also help boost your immune system, build strength, and reduce the effects of aging. They have a low Glycemic index (GI) and contain a powerhouse of minerals that ensure healthy blood sugar and protein metabolism, essential fatty acids to keep your body lean, and B vitamins that give you energy. Goji berries are also a complete protein source and have 500 times more vitamin C, by weight, than oranges!
Tips for using goji berries:
- Mix goji berries with nuts, seeds, and other dried fruits to make a trail mix.
- Blend goji berries into smoothies, shakes and fresh juices.
- Add some goji berries to your herbal tea or water.
Spirulina is a type of single-celled, blue-green algae that contains an amazing array of nutrients, including chlorophyll, protein, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, antioxidants and more. In fact, spirulina contains about 70% protein (much more than a regular steak!), and it’s a complete protein source that is low in calories. Spirulina promotes health and weight loss by providing your body with the nutrients it needs, in turn curbing cravings and stopping the cycle of overeating due to nutritional deficits.
Tips for using spirulina:
- Add spirulina powder to you favourite smoothies, shakes, fresh juices, and homemade salad dressings.
- Sprinkle spirulina powder on your salads, sandwiches and wraps.
- Take spirulina capsules or tablets as a nutritional supplement.
Improving your metabolism means quicker weight loss. And one way you can improve your metabolism is to consume coconut oil and a regular basis. Coconut oil mostly consists of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These MCFAs support the immune system, thyroid gland, nervous system, and skin, and they speed up your metabolism because they are so easily digested and converted into energy. Coconut oil is also the most stable of any known butter or oil, and it doesn’t form dangerous trans-fatty acids when it’s heated, like polyunsaturated oils (vegetable oils such as corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola). So try to exclusively use coconut oil for your all cooking.
Tips on using coconut oil:
- Eat coconut oil straight, blend it into a salad dressing, or add it to a smoothie or shake.
- Substitute coconut oil for other oils and fats you normally use for cooking or baking.
- Rub coconut oil directly onto your skin.
Yes, that’s right. Chocolate can help you lose weight! Studies have shown that cacao not only helps decrease the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and depression, it also helps decrease your appetite. But it has to be raw cacao (pure dark chocolate) not the snickers bar you get from the snack machine at work. Raw cacao is loaded with key neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and phenylethylamine (PEA). These neurotransmitters are associated with feelings of well being. They also help suppress your appetite and block the pathway that leads to food cravings. Raw cacao is also a great source of antioxidants and minerals that provide essential nutrients, which boost energy levels and aid in recovery from exercise.
Tips for using cacao:
- Buy raw cacao products (beans, nibs, powder, butter) and blend them into smoothies and shakes.
- Sprinkle raw cacao nibs on your favourite dessert.
- Add raw cacao beans or nibs to your favourite trail mix. They go great with goji berries.
- Eat raw cacao beans by themselves.
- Spice up the bedroom with some raw cacao butter!